314 H University Hall
230 N Oval Mall
F 1:30 - 3:00 p.m.
or by appointment
Areas of Expertise
- Philosophy of Mind
- Philosophy of Cognitive Science
- Ph.D. Rutgers, 1998
Prof. Samuels's PhilPapers Page
Book (in progress)
- Samuels, R. Descartes’ Challenge: Flexibility and the Architecture of Cognition (Under contract with OUP)
Articles and Chapters
- Samuels, R. (Forthcoming) “Nativism” In Symons, J. and Garzón F. (eds.) The Routledge Companion to Philosophy of Psychology, Routledge
- Samuels, R. (Forthcoming) “The Magical Number Two, Plus or Minus: Comments on Dual Systems” In Evans, J. & Frankish, K. (eds.) In Two Minds: Dual Processes and Beyond, OUP.
- Samuels, R. (Forthcoming) “Delusions as a Natural Kind” In Broome, M. & Bortolotti, L. (eds.) Psychiatry as Cognitive Neuroscience: Philosophical Perspectives, OUP
- Samuels, R. (Forthcoming) “Classical Computationalism and the Many Problems of Cognitive Relevance” Studies in History and Philosophy of Science
- Samuels, R. (2008) “Psychology” In Psillos S. and Curd M. (eds.) The Routledge Companion to the Philosophy of Science, Routledge.
- Samuels, R. (2007) “Varieties of Dual-Process Theory for Probabilistic Reasoning”. In Behavioral and Brain Sciences Vol. 30:280-281
- Samuels, R. (2007) “Is innateness a confused notion?” In Carruthers, P. Laurence, S. & Stich S. (eds.) The Innate Mind: Foundations and the future, OUP.
- Samuels, R (2006) “Is the Mind Massively Modular?” In Stainton, R. Contemporary Debates in Cognitive Science, Blackwell.
- Samuels, R. (2005) "The complexity of cognition: tractability arguments for massive modularity". In Carruthers, P. Laurence, S. & Stich S. (eds.) The Innate Mind: Structure and Contents. OUP. Pp. 107-121.