The Department of Philosophy offers a Major, a Minor, and two tracks for an Honors Degree at Ohio State. More information can be found by checking out our Guide to Undergraduate Studies or by making an appointment with our Faculty Advisor, Professor Lisa Shabel. To help you start planning:
- download the requirements for the Major and Minor, and a list of all of our courses, here
- watch a 3 minute video about the requirements for the Major and Minor
- consult a list of current and upcoming courses
Your individual path through the Major will depend on your own timeline and your other studies, and should be discussed with your Academic Advisor.
For reference, here is one possible path through the Major:
Semester 1: 2000-level elective + 2500*
Semester 2: 3000* + 3000-level history of philosophy course or 3000-level elective
Semester 3: 3000-level topics course + any other 3000-level course(s) that satisfy remaining requirements
Semester 4: 5000-level elective + a 3000-level course(s) that satisfies remaining requirements
Semester 5: 5000-level elective + a 3000-level course(s) that satisfies remaining requirements
* These two requirements should be taken as early as possible in your major program
- Philosophy 2367 and 5010S may not count towards your Major program.
- Major program courses may not be used for GE purposes, with the following exceptions:
- New GE: Foundation courses may be counted as prerequisite to the major (Philosophy 2500). Up to two Theme courses from different themes may be counted in the major.
- Legacy GE: The Global Studies Requirement may be counted in the major; the Quantitative and Logical Skills requirement may be satisfied with the prerequisite to the major (Philosophy 2500).
- Contact our Faculty Advisor, Professor Lisa Shabel to plan your path to a Major in Philosophy, or to ask questions about upcoming courses and course content.
- To schedule an appointment with an advisor, please call 614-292-6961.
All new majors must meet with Professor Lisa Shabel before declaring with our Academic Advisor.
- Philosophy of Language Focus
- Legal Studies Focus
- Logic and Philosophy of Math Focus
- Philosophy of Science Focus
- Philosophy of Religion Focus
- Philosophy of Mind, Brain and Cognition Focus
- History of Western Philosophy Focus
- Ethics and Moral Psychology Focus
- Contact your Academic Advisor in your Major to officially declare your Minor in Philosophy.
- Contact our Faculty Advisor, Professor Lisa Shabel to ask questions about upcoming courses and course content.
New minors are NOT required to meet with Professor Lisa Shabel before declaring their Minor.