The Department of Philosophy offers a Major, a Minor, and two tracks for an Honors Degree at Ohio State. More information can be found by checking out our Guide to Undergraduate Studies or by making an appointment with our Faculty Advisor, Professor Lisa Shabel. To help you start planning:
Your individual path through the Major will depend on your own timeline and your other studies, and should be discussed with your Academic Advisor.
For reference, here is one possible path through the Major:
Semester 1: 2000-level elective + 2500*
Semester 2: 3000* + 3000-level history of philosophy course or 3000-level elective
Semester 3: 3000-level topics course + any other 3000-level course(s) that satisfy remaining requirements
Semester 4: 5000-level elective + a 3000-level course(s) that satisfies remaining requirements
Semester 5: 5000-level elective + a 3000-level course(s) that satisfies remaining requirements
* These two requirements should be taken as early as possible in your major program
- Contact our Faculty Advisor, Professor Lisa Shabel to plan your path to a Major in Philosophy, or to ask questions about upcoming courses and course content.
- Schedule an appointment with our Academic Advisor, Sarah Dunlap to officially declare your Major in Philosophy, or to ask questions about GE and other graduation requirements.
- Philosophy of Language Focus
- Legal Studies Focus
- Logic and Philosophy of Math Focus
- Philosophy of Science Focus
- Philosophy of Religion Focus
- Philosophy of Mind, Brain and Cognition Focus
- History of Western Philosophy Focus
- Ethics and Moral Psychology Focus
- Contact our Faculty Advisor, Professor Lisa Shabel to plan your path to a Minor in Philosophy, or to ask questions about upcoming courses and course content.
- Contact your Academic Advisor in your Major to officially declare your Minor in Philosophy.