A Day at Camp
The PACT Summer Camp will explore our core theme — Philosophy and Artificial Intelligence — through a weeklong series of fun, engaging activities. Each in-person day will include creative projects and learning activities around our beautiful campus, including our lecture halls, virtual reality studio, and the Oval. Throughout the week, campers will have the opportunity to discuss the issues that matter most to them. In several sessions, campers will hear lively and interactive presentations from Ohio State professors on core philosophical questions. Still other sessions will explore our topic through examining media and participating in debates.
A typical in-person day will be split into several sessions, each lasting 1-2 hours. Campers are expected to arrive at camp every day by 9:00 a.m. at the latest. Campers will depart Monday-Thursday between 4 and 4:30pm. On Friday, parents/guardians are invited to a showcase featuring the week’s highlights, with precise time TBD.
This year, we will offer additional programming after regular camp until 6:30pm. We will watch movies that relate to our theme. We will play board games when its raining. And we will organize games outside on the Oval when the weather permits. The goal for these additional hours is fun and building connections among our campers.
2023 Camp Focus: Philosophy and Artificial Intelligence
Questions we will explore through examination of media, guest lectures, discussions, and debates:
- Can a computer system be “intelligent” or “conscious”?
- How and why can “artificial intelligence” improve on human decision-making?
- How and why can the use of algorithms or machine learning improve the fairness of decision-making? How and why can it enshrine bias or other forms of injustice?
- Who is responsible when a self-driving car or a social media algorithm produces bad outcomes?
- Does the potential for super-intelligent autonomous AI systems pose an existential threat to humanity?
These are just some of the questions we'll discuss in our time together at PACT! See you there.
Learn more about PACT: