Professor & Admissions Chair
376 University Hall
230 N. Oval Mall
Wed. 1-3 pm and by appointment
Areas of Expertise
- Philosophy of Mathematics
- History of Analytic Philosophy
- Philosophy of Science
- B.A. University of Western Ontario, 1996
- Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley, 2002
Prof. Pincock's personal website
- Book: Mathematics and Scientific Representation, Oxford University Press, 2012.
- “Concrete Scale Models, Essential Idealization and Causal Explanation”, British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, forthcoming.
- “Logical Empiricism in the Anglophone World”, in T. Uebel (ed.), Handbook of Logical Empiricism, Routledge, forthcoming.
- “Mathematical Explanation Requires Mathematical Truth”, in S. Dasgupta and B. Weslake (eds.), Current Controversies in Philosophy of Science, Routledge, forthcoming.
- “Neutral Monism”, in R. Wahl (ed.), Bloomsbury Companion to Russell, Bloomsbury Press, forthcoming.
- “Accommodating Explanatory Pluralism”, in A. Reutlinger and J. Saatsi (eds.), Explanation Beyond Causation, Oxford University Press, 2018, 39-56.
- “Explanatory Relevance and Contrastive Explanation”, Philosophy of Science (Symposium Proceedings) 85 (2018): 806-818.
- “Abstract Explanations in Science”, British Journal for the Philosophy of Science 66 (2015): 857-882.
- “The Unsolvability of the Quintic: A Case Study in Abstract Mathematical Explanation”, Philosophers’ Imprint 15 (2015): 1-19. (http://www.philosophersimprint.org/015003/)