326 University Hall
230 N Oval Mall
Areas of Expertise
- Aesthetic Theory
- Philosophy of Language
- B.A. Brooklyn College
- M.A., Ph.D. University of Pittsburgh
Prof. Kraut's PhilPapers page
- Artworld Metaphysics (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2007); paperback edition 2010.
- "Artworld Practice, Aesthetic Properties, Pragmatist Strategies," forthcoming in Aikin and Talisse (eds.), The Routledge Handbook of Pragmatism.
- "Pragmatism and the Ontology of Art," forthcoming in J. Gert (ed.), Neopragmatism: An Applied Manifesto (Oxford University Press).
- "Rudolf Carnap: Pragmatist and Expressivist about Ontology," in R. Bliss and J. Miller (eds.), The Routledge Handbook of Metametaphysics (2020).
- "Norm and Object," in J. O'Shea (ed.), Sellars and his Legacy (Oxford University Press, 2016).
- "Pragmatism Without Idealism" (with Kevin Scharp), in C. Daly (ed.), The Palgrave Handbook of Philosophical Methods (Palgrave Macmillan, 2015).
- "Ontology: Music and Art," The Monist 95 (October 2012): 684-710.
- “The Metaphysics of Artistic Expression: a Case Study in Projectivism,” in R. Johnson and M. Smith (eds.), Passions and Projections: Themes from the Philosophy of Simon Blackburn (Oxford University Press, 2015).
- "Three Carnaps on Ontology," in Blatti and Lapointe (eds.), Ontology After Carnap (Oxford University Press, 2016).
- "Universals, Metaphysical Explanations, and Pragmatism," Journal of Philosophy CVII (November 2010): 590-609.
- "Why Does Jazz Matter to Aesthetic Theory?," Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism 63:1 (Winter 2005): 3-15.
- "Varieties of Pragmatism," Mind 99 (April 1990): 157-183; reprinted in Alan Malachowski(ed.), Richard Rorty (Sage Publications, 2002).
- "Metaphysical Explanation and the Philosophy of Mathematics," Philosophia Mathematica (3) Vol. 9 (June 2001): 154-183.
- "Robust Deflationism," Philosophical Review 102:2 (April 1993): 247-263.
- "Love De Re," Midwest Studies in Philosophy Volume X (University of Minnesota Press, 1986): 413-430.
- "Feelings in Context," Journal of Philosophy LXXXIII (November 1986): 642-53.