All minor programs must be approved by Professor Lisa Shabel (Shabel.firstname.lastname@example.org) Director of Undergraduate Studies (Room 337N, University Hall, 292-7914). Consultation concerning the minor should be sought at least one year prior to the student's projected date of graduation. The minimal requirements for a minor in Philosophy are:
- At least 12 credit hours in Philosophy courses numbered 2000 or above.
- At least 6 of those 12 credit hours must be in Philosophy courses numbered 3000 or above.
- At least 3 of those 6 credit hours must be in Philosophy courses numbered 3300 or above.
- No more than 3 credit hours of PHIL 5193 coursework may be applied to the minor.
- Transfer credit hours allowed: no more than one half of the credit hours required on the minor.
- Philosophy 2367 does not count towards your minor program, although it may be used for GE purposes.
Some students will want a minor in Philosophy to complement their major; others will want to pursue some topic in Philosophy unrelated to their major. We have designed the following minor focuses areas, which highlight some common topics of interest to many of our minors. Note that these focus areas are merely intended to provide some possible models in pursing the minor, and one is not required to choose one of them. Moreover, even within a given focus area, many other configurations are possible. The Director of Undergraduate Studies will help design a minor program that is sensitive and suitable to the needs and interests of the student.